Friday, June 28, 2013

Retrospective... a.k.a. WTF?

For some reason I woke up this morning and immediately thought, "One month until my birthday." Why? I have no idea! After all, once you get past about twenty-one birthdays just aren't as exciting anymore- and I'm waaaaay past twenty-one! It's not even as though this one is a "Big" one either, although it's one of those that make you kind of realize a "Big One" is just around the corner.

Having started out that way, I then seemed to get on a track of looking back. My son will be twenty this year. We've lived in Canada for ten years. My mother has been gone for thirteen-and-a-half years. All these things make me shake my head in wonder. Where did the time go? How did it fly by so quickly?

And how come I still feel like twenty-one (or maybe twenty-five at the outside) most of the time?

Well, I can only hope the latter fact remains with me a little longer, but all of this retrospective makes me want to quote Latin. Stuff like "Tempus Fugit" and "Carpe Diem", because sometimes when you look back you not only wonder at the speed of time passing, but also realize there's a lot more that could have been done that wasn't.

Of course, that Latin impulse may also have been brought on by being immersed in writing the second in my historical/paranormal novellas, tentatively titled Lion's Need, which is set during the days when Julius Caesar was seizing power. Research being one of my favorite things, you can imagine a great deal of time is being spent looking up facts and doing that one-site-to-the-other web crawl that can really suck a chunk of time out of the day. Now, with all that looking back stuff, I'm tearing myself away from the web and putting my nose to the grindstone! Don't Fugit the Diem, but Carpe the Tempus and finish the story, is what I'm telling myself. After all, I'm not getting any younger!

No comments:

Post a Comment