Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hold that Modem and Curb your imagination!

So my good friend Amy Ruttan told me a couple of days ago that she'd dreamed about zombies, which kind of grossed me out. I'm not one of those people who find the concept of zombies fascinating. In fact I'd go so far as to say the thought of them grosses me out. Yes, I know...vampires are undead too, so if they can be considered sexy, why can't zombies? Umm, no. I don't care how you rewrite the zombie mythos, there's still that whole decay-and-something-may-drop-off issue that I just can't get past. Let's not even touch the brain-eating aspect of it!

So, anyway, Amy dreams of zombies and then last night our internet goes dead. Nothing in, nothing out. I jump on my phone to see if I can pick up messages that way...nada. Huh. Interesting. Well, I went on working, but there was this little niggle of worry in the back of my mind. What the hell was going on? Had the zombie apocalypse actually started? After all, Amy's a little bit psychic!

It was then it struck me just how dependent I am on the internet to know about what's happening in the world. That made me shake my head, considering I didn't even own a computer or have an email address until 1998. Up to that point I gathered info from the newspaper, television, telephone or by going out and seeing stuff for myself. Fourteen years later I'm an internet addict who can hardly bear to be without the ability to go on line.

I'm not sure what to do about it, if anything. A lot of my business is transacted online and it pays (literally and figuratively) to stay connected. Yet how much is too much, even under those circumstances? Something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment